There are many known benefits of chia seeds for skin, hair, and health. Chia seeds have become increasingly popular among nutrition-enthusiasts and beauty gurus for their flexible benefits in different fields. Considered as a super-food, chia seeds have taken the health industry by storm in the past few decades and have become an essential addition to the everyday bland diet.
Chia seeds are extracted from a flowering plant known as Salvia Hispanica. The seeds are popular for their ability to transform into a gel-like texture when submerged into liquids for a certain period of time. Therefore, chia seeds are popularly used as a major ingredient to form the base in healthy smoothie bowls, milky beverages, snack bars, yogurt cups, etc.
Our skin becomes what we eat. Therefore, chia seeds are largely used as an important tool for improving our skin and hair quality as well. They are loaded with healthy nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fibers, essential minerals, etc. From controlling weight gain to reducing hair loss, these nutrients can cater to every need of your body, inside and out.
What Are Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are typically tiny seeds that are black or dark brown in color with white dots on them, and they belong to the mint family. They are essentially flat and ovular in shape and have a smooth, glossy finish or texture. Originated in Guatemala and Mexico, these seeds were popularly used by the Mayans and Aztecs.
Apart from the essential nutrients, chia seeds are a great source of antioxidants that help improve our internal and enhance our external appearances. Because of their gel-like texture when soaked in water, they are an eternal part of recipes such as pudding, porridge, baked goods, salads, yogurt, etc. The body absorbs them as an unprocessed, whole-grain food item.
Chia Seeds – Nutrition Facts
Below are some of the important chia seeds benefits for health.
- Chia seeds consist of essential fatty acids that our body cannot produce on its own and, therefore, need to be digested through food. These include omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid or ALA, omega-6 fatty acids, etc.
- Chia seeds are rich in plant-based proteins, making them a great protein option for people adopting the vegan lifestyle. They contain almost 19% of protein which is usually greater than most other grains.
- They are also an excellent source for obtaining all the 9 essential amino acids and necessary dietary fibers on a daily basis.
- Besides fatty acids, chia seeds are also an excellent source of essential minerals such as manganese, zinc, selenium, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, calcium, etc.
- These seeds are also rich in antioxidant properties, including chlorogenic acid, quercetin, caffeic acid, etc.
- Additionally, one ounce of chia seeds contains as low as 138 calories, and they are absolutely free from gluten as well.
|Calories 486 (Amount Per 100 Grams)
|% Daily Value (based on a 2,000 calorie diet)
|Total fat – 31 g
|Saturated fat – 3.3 g
|Trans fat – 0.1 g
|Sodium – 16 mg
|Protein – 17 mg
|Cholesterol – 0 mg
|Potassium – 407 mg
|Total Carbohydrates – 42 g
|Dietary Fiber 34 g
Chia Seeds Benefits For Skin
Below are some of the important chia seeds benefits for skin:
1. Fights Free Radical Damage: The presence of high levels of antioxidants in chia seeds actually male them a great example of providing the body with essential nutrients to fight free radical damage caused by UV exposure.
One of the most important chia seeds benefits for skin is that they help delay ageing signs uch as wrinkles and fine lines on the skin.
2. Soothes Inflammation: Chia seeds contain cooling properties that help soothe the skin, reduce any inflammation caused by external factors, and keep the skin healthy.
This anti-inflammatory property of chia seeds also helps to keep several chronic conditions like arthritis, metabolic syndrome, etc. away
3. Strengthens Skin Barrier: Another important chia seeds benefit for skin is that it provides a strong skin barrier to protect the skin from external aggressors and help to reduce skin issues such as acne, inflammation, skin redness, and the damage caused by UV exposure.
They are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which help to strengthen the said skin barrier and keep the same protected from any harm caused by external factors.
4. Hydrates Skin: Chia seeds are known for their ability to contain hydration and, therefore, are an excellent addition to your regular healthy diet. As we all know, hydration is the key to maintaining skin health, and therefore, chia seeds can be very beneficial for that.
5. Helps Add Glow To Your Skin: Since they are rich in nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and potassium, regular consumption of chia seeds can help boost skin luminosity and elasticity, making your skin glow from the inside and out.
Chia Seeds Benefits For Hair
As already mentioned above various sunflower seeds benefits for skin. Now it’s time to know numerous sunflower seeds benefits for hair:
1. Hair Strengthening: One of the most important chia seeds benefit for hair is that it strengthens hair and helps in hair growth. Along with vitamins and minerals, chia seeds are also rich in protein and phosphorus that are eternal properties of fortifying and strengthening hair fibers and thus, reducing hair breakage and shedding.
Our hair consists primarily of Keratin, a protein that chia seeds help to produce and restore in our hair to make it look thicker, healthier, and stronger in general.
2. Hair Growth: The high levels of essential amino acids present in chia seeds help in boosting proper scalp health, inhibiting hair fall, and boosting hair growth. Copper and zinc, two minerals primarily found in chia seeds, are the main agents for promoting excellent hair growth and maintaining their good health. It is because copper helps in preventing the thinning of hair, while zinc helps to repair hair damage caused by scalp infections.
3. Boosting Elasticity: Another important chia seeds benefit for hair is that it boosts elasticity. The gel-like texture of chia seeds makes them an excellent conditioning base when added to hair masks and other hair treatments. Thus, their numerous beneficial properties help in boosting the elasticity of rough, dry, and damaged hair.
4. Adding Shine To Tired Tresses: Chia seeds are equally rich in zinc, which plays an important role in improving hair health to protect itself from external damages. It can also help to produce new and healthy hair cells, with improved texture and a lustrous natural shine.
5. Can Help Inhibit Thinning: Another essential nutrient found abundantly in chia seeds is copper. As we all know, copper helps to promote better blood circulation on the scalp and cancel the thinning of hair.
Additionally, loss of iron from the body could also easily be one of the major causes of hair loss among women. Thus, the consumption of chia seeds also helps in restoring the iron levels in the body, therefore, promoting better circulation of blood throughout the scalp and boosting hair growth.
How To Use Chia Seeds For Better Skin And Hair?
As we have seen numerous chia seeds benefits for hair and skin, now lets learn how to use chia seeds for better skin and hair.
1. DIY Chia Seed Skin Mask
Chia seeds are one of the most common ingredients to use as easy homemade skincare regimes and are most frequently recommended by beauty enthusiasts. They can be applied to the skin in the form of masks, the procedure being:
You may require approximately 1 teaspoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. You will also need a glass bowl to mix everything in.
Now, you have to soak the chia seeds in water for about 25 minutes to obtain the gel-like texture. Then, add honey and olive oil to the seeds after you filter the water out from them.
You have to mix everything very thoroughly until it forms a paste and then gently apply it to your skin as a mask.
Leave the mask on for about 3-4 minutes and keep massaging the paste onto your skin. You may wash it off with lukewarm water to get glowing, healthy, and happy skin. They also help in soothing acne and fading dark spots.
2. DIY Chia Seed Hair Mask
Chia seeds are also great for using in DIY hair masks, apart from consuming them for better health and using them on skincare regimes. Chia seeds add a lustrous shine and gloss to the hair while helping in repairing the tired hair tresses and providing protein treatments to the hair. Thus, they are an excellent source for providing deep conditioning to your hair. To use them in hair masks:
You may require mixing 6 tablespoons of organic coconut oil (since they are the best kind of carrier oil), 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup of honey, and about 1 teaspoon of chia seeds in a bowl approximately.
You then have to microwave the mixture for about 30 seconds and let it aside to cool down.
Next, wet your hair with water with the help of a sprayer and start applying the mixture onto the hair correctly, covering each hair strand.
Leave the hair mask on for almost 10-15 minutes for better results and wash it off later with shampoo, following with conditioner. You will notice the difference after your hair gets dry.
In an alternative hair mask routine, you may also add 2 egg whites and a little portion of yogurt to chia seed oil and apply it on your scalp for about 40-45 minutes. This will help in treating dry and damaged hair and scalp.
Are There Any Known Side Effects of Topical Chia Seed Use?
Too much of anything is harmful to one’s health. Although chia seeds are known to have no severe side effects and are safe to consume, overconsumption of chia seeds may lead to causing gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, bloating, rancidity, etc.
Therefore, it is highly advised to begin with a chia seeds diet with a very small amount of chia seeds initially to let your stomach adjust with the new changes and then increase the quantity accordingly to avoid any stomach issues. However, remember to always consult your doctor about the possible benefits and other side effects, if any, before you hop onto a chia seeds diet.
Thus to conclude, chia seeds impose excellent hair and skin benefits, apart from being one of the healthiest seeds for an overall improved immune growth. They work towards providing your skin and hair a youthful look and better health and help regain their natural glow and shine accordingly.
Additionally, they also help support gut health, aid in weight loss, provide a good source of calcium, prevent stress and depression, support heart health, and so much more! Therefore, chia seeds are great for the skin and hair and equally beneficial for the body.